All images and exhibits in Special Collections are tagged to improve searchability. The tags currently in use are listed below.
The tags that we use to identify our items are listed below with brief descriptions to help clarify how they can be searched.
binding: images of bindings and binding fragments, as well as book jackets
book plate: images of items containing book plates
comic: materials containing comics or cartoons
doves press: materials produced by the Doves Press
endpapers: materials with distinctive endpapers
facsimile: items that are facsimiles
fine press: materials produced after 1800 by printers and publishers aspiring to an unusually high standard of printing quality
illustration: materials containing illustrations or images (usually paired with a secondary tag describing the illustrative technique)
- aquatint: illustrations produced through the aquatint process
- collotype: illustrations produced through the collotype process (an early form of photographic plate)
- engraving: illustrations produced through the engraving process
- etching: illustrations produced through the etching process
- lithography: illustrations produced through lithography
- woodcut: illustrations produced with woodcuts
- wood-engraving: illustrations produced with wood engraving
incunabula: materials printed in Europe in the 1400s
kelmscott press: materials produced by the Kelmscott Press
limited editions club: materials produced by the Limited Editions Club
manuscripts: materials written by hand, irrespective of date or location
marbled paper: materials that include instances of paper marbling
medieval: materials produced in Europe between 500 CE and 1500 CE
Mesoamerica: materials produced in Mesoamerica
miniature books: books that are under 100 mm (3.9 inches) in height, width, or thickness
music: books containing musical notation.
periodical: materials excerpted from newspapers and journals
photographs: illustrations produced through photography
poster: posters and prints
renaissance: materials produced in Europe between 1500 CE and 1660 CE
rubrication: materials where select words have been written or manually embellished in color, typically red or blue, to draw attention to them.
sammelband: separately printed items bound into a single volume
Savitar: materials related to the University of Missouri yearbook Savitar
university archives: materials held by the University Archives.
Items that are associated with one of our collection strengths are given a tag to accompany that collection.
- American Social and Political History: american-social-history
- Artists' Books and Fine Press Books: bookarts
- British & American Religion and Politics: british-american-religion
- Classical Antiquity: classical antiquity
- Comic Art and Popular Culture: comic
- English & French Literature and Languages: english-french-literature
- French History, Politics, and Law: french-history
- History of Printing: printing
- History of Science: science
- Manuscript Collections: manuscripts
- Theater and the Performing Arts: theater
- Travel and Exploration: travel
- World War I and II: world-wars